Katie Gifford is a Nationally Certified School Psychologist currently working in Anne Arundel County Public Schools (AACPS). She has spent the last five years working with students with Emotional Disabilities, ADHD, Autism, Oppositional Defiant Disorder, and Learning Disabilities in the public school system. She is passionate about early intervention services, and providing students and families with wrap around supports to facilitate academic and social-emotional success.
Katie earned her B.A. in Psychology from the University of Maryland, and her M.A., A.G.S., and Ph.D. in School Psychology from the University of Maryland. Katie earned her National Certification in School Psychology from the National Association of School Psychologists in 2013. She is also working on earning her certification in Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT) and studying for the national psychology licensure exam.
Katie is an adjunct professor in the University of Maryland School Psychology doctoral program. She has taught and supervised the graduate practicum course in counseling for School Psychology doctoral students. She recently had the opportunity to lead two DBT professional development sessions for the Office of Psychological Services and School Counselors in AACPS; two professional development sessions on working memory for the PBIS school leaders in AACPS; and a professional development presentation on the teenage brain for teachers within AACPS.
In her leisure time, Katie enjoys teaching and taking Pure Barre classes. She recently became a mom, and loves spending time with her husband and baby boy. Whenever given the chance, she also loves spending time at their family beach house in Bethany Beach, DE.
WORKSHOPS presented by KATIE include:
- Beyond Poverty: Brain-Inspired Ways to Understand and Respond to Poverty
- Becoming a Mental Health Sleuth: The Sherlock Holmes Skills Every School Needs
- Brain Matters: The Essential Guide To Brain-Based Learning
- Change Your Language, Change Their Lives: What Adults Can Say Differently Today to Transform the Tomorrows of Our Youth
- Giving a Fish a Bath: The Untold Story of the Adolescent Mind
- The New IQ?: Understanding and Teaching Executive Functions Skills In and Out of the Classroom
- Trauma and the Brain: The Developmental Impact of Trauma in Childhood