Cortney is the Assistant Principal at the Chesapeake Bay Middle School Regional Program in Anne Arundel County. She has over 20 years of experience working with students with learning and emotional disabilities and has worked in various roles as an educator including teacher, behavior specialist and assistant principal.
Cortney is passionate about her role as an administrator and enjoys working with her staff, students and families to provide engaging instruction, quality learning and a feeling of community. She is committed to educating the “whole child” and was recognized by the Maryland School Psychologist Association with the “Outstanding Educator Award” in 2011. This passion and commitment to providing the best educational services to meet the needs of all learners is what led her to the Transformation Education Institute where she is certified as a presenter.
Cortney earned her Bachelor’s Degree in Elementary Education and Special Education from East Stroudsburg University and her Master’s Degree in Leadership Teaching with administration certification from Notre Dame of Maryland.
Cortney is an avid traveler and enjoys spending time outdoors. After college she attended the National Outdoor Leadership School in Lander, Wyoming where she completed a semester in the Rockies. As a young teacher, she worked part-time for an airline to afford her “travel bug” and was fortunate to spend many summers backpacking through Central America and Europe. These days she stays close to home and is happy spending her summers swimming in the pool and taking short trips with her husband and two young girls but looks forward to their family’s first trip abroad sometime soon!
WORKSHOPS presented by CORTNEY include:
- Beyond Poverty: Brain-Inspired Ways to Understand and Respond to Poverty
- Becoming a Mental Health Sleuth: The Sherlock Holmes Skills Every School Needs
- Brain Matters: The Essential Guide To Brain-Based Learning
- Change Your Language, Change Their Lives: What Adults Can Say Differently Today to Transform the Tomorrows of Our Youth
- Giving a Fish a Bath: The Untold Story of the Adolescent Mind
- The New IQ?: Understanding and Teaching Executive Functions Skills In and Out of the Classroom
- Trauma and the Brain: The Developmental Impact of Trauma in Childhood